Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I believe in a thing called Discipline



I firmly believe in responsibility and respect. As a child, I was raised by my mother and I wasn't taught manners at all. I knew my mom loved and cared for my brother and I, but she was also just relaxed and careless too. We didn't eat at the dinner table and I would stay up all night because I wasn't ever told to go to bed before 9. As I grew older into my teen years I decided to move closer to my family in Springfield and moved in with my father. My father wasn't around most of my life so I wasn't really sure what was in store for me. My dad and stop mom both lived the upper class lifestyle. I didn't really know what that meant but at the time I didn't really care. A lot of things changed for me. The way I ate, slept, went to school, and many other things. My dad's house was always like it was on a schedule. His main motive was responsibility and to have responsibility, you must have respect to others as well. Let me tell you, my first few weeks we're probably the most frustrating and complicated weeks of my life. I had no clue how to respect my elders or what responsibility even was. Paying bills? I'm only 14, I don't need to worry about that yet. That's not what he meant though. I had a list of chores to complete everyday if I was wanting a ride to school later that evening. It was also expected to be done before mom started dinner and if it wasn't then I would be making for myself dinner that night. I had no idea how to even cook. Soon enough, I caught on and was cleaning up after myself and made sure I was completely prepared for school the next day with all homework done and ready for bed after a nice hot shower. To this day, I don't regret one thing that my dad has taught or trained me. My late high school years I moved back in with my mom when she moved to Springfield. I wasn't looking forward to going back to my bad habits, but surprisingly, it stuck with me. I was always cooking dinner for my siblings and making sure the house was picked up. My mother is a very busy woman with a mentally ill child and a full time job, as well a part-time weekend job, some days I may think she's being lazy but I know that she's truly a hard worker and needs time to relax like the rest of us do. To this day, I still have my good OCD habits and I am more responsible than I ever thought I would be. I got a job when I was 16 and I haven't stopped working since then. I saved up all my money during my high school years and I moved out of my parent's house by 18 with that money. If I never lived with my dad then I definitely think I would still be living at home with my mom while in college and probably with no job. I give my parents much respect for raising me with such responsibility at a young age. I will take after them and train my children the same exact way and I will watch them go very far in life with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment